Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bollywood Nakul Dev Mahajan




Nakul has been dancing on stage for the past eighteen years but truly started dancing when he was eight years old in his room secretly. Influenced by the great Bollywood icon, Amitabh Bachchan and other Bollywood stars of the 70s and 80s, Nakul started mimicking their moves and perfected their dance sequences from their films. Dancing became a part of Nakul's daily life, his mantra. However, his talent was hidden from his family for years. 

 I knew he was dancing in his room, but he would always shy away from showing his father and me. It wasn't until the Diwali show where we saw him perform for the first time. We were all shocked and amazed." - Renu Mahajan

 Aside from Bollywood celebrities, Nakul was heavily influenced by American Idol judge Paula Abdul, who in the late 80s and early 90's was a super star Recording Artist and Choreographer. Paula Abdul brought dance and choreography in music videos to a different level. 

 I was 'spellbound' when I saw her music videos. At the age of 16, I did not have any dance training, everything that I knew was self taught. I remember that I had Paula's music videos memorized and I was able to do all of her jazz based moves even though I had never stepped foot in a jazz class before.

No comments:

Post a Comment